Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all volunteering at our homes in Northern India and Timor-Leste is suspended until further notice.
Volunteer at Raphael
- Raphael was established over 60 years ago for people who are sick or disabled in the northern Indian town of Dehradun.
- Volunteers are an essential and integral part of Raphael and bring with them their own diverse cultures, language and traditions.
- For the residents of Raphael, this provides invaluable exposure to the outside world which would not have otherwise existed.
- Residents and staff all look forward to the volunteers’ visits which add to Raphael being the happy and cheerful place it is.
- Raphael comprises of a school and residences for disabled students, an early learning unit, physiotherapy and a TB hospital.
- They also run community-based rehabilitation which consists of a team which travels to villages and identifies children with special needs. That team then provides assistance for teachers in the local village schools, home based programs and visits by therapists.
What do volunteers do?
Most volunteers at Raphael work in the Special Education Unit and are placed in classrooms assisting Indian staff with exercises, academic activities, domestic skills and dance classes. They also help with staging cultural programs.
Volunteers with specific training may work in other areas, for example, physiotherapy.
Am I eligible?
Anyone with a desire to assist, from gap year students to retirees, is welcome to apply.
For how long?
Raphael prefers a minimum placement of three months, however where there are good reasons other periods of time will be considered.
What are the costs?
- Return travel from your home to Raphael, including flights, internal travel to/from Dehradun, and a visa
- A police check if you do not already hold one (approx. $50)
- Any medical requirements including inoculations
- Travel insurance
- Nominal charge for basic meals and accommodation (about $6.00 per day)
- Any food you desire not provided by Raphael
- Funds for private travel on weekends and any other activities outside Raphael
Note: RCA does not charge an administrative fee to arrange the placement of volunteers.
What is the accommodation?
There is a comfortable 4 bedroom volunteer cottage, ensuite bathrooms with western style toilets and a shared communal dining/sitting area.
It is important to read:
To find out more contact:
Overseas Volunteers’ Co-ordinator
Message from Susie: When emailing send me a short paragraph about yourself ,
let me know where you would like to go and if you have any dates you could include those.
I will get back to you shortly.
I’m looking forward to hearing from you.