Klibur Domin is an 85 bed health care centre based at Tibar village, 15 km west of Dili, Timor-Leste. Klibur Domin was established in 2000 by Ryder-Cheshire Australia which has continued to partner with Klibur Domin over the past 20 years.
The Mission of Klibur Domin is to relieve suffering among Timorese people who are sick, disabled or destitute, without discrimination.
Klibur Domin provides:
- Medical care at Klibur Domin for low-care patients who are awaiting or recovering from surgery, and others with medical conditions including strokes, wounds, kidney failure, fractures and malnutrition.
- Tuberculosis (TB) program, including community detection and tracing, community and centre-based treatment and specialised care for Multi Drug Resistant-TB (MDR-TB) patients.
- Family-inclusive community-based rehabilitation (CBR) program for children and adults with disabilities.
- Accommodation and mentoring for high school students with disabilities.
- Long term accommodation for residents with disabilities and mental health issues.
- Dental care at Klibur Domin and in schools and villages in the surrounding regions.
- Respite care and rehabilitation based at Klibur Domin.
Management & Staff
The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Joaquim Soares, is Timorese, and all Klibur Domin programs are staffed by Timorese, including medical, nursing, therapy, personal support, cooking, cleaning, driving, administration, maintenance, gardening, livestock management and security. Overall control rests with the Klibur Domin Board of Management, the directors of which are Timorese and Australian professionals.
The majority of funds required to operate Klibur Domin are sourced from Ryder-Cheshire Australia through individual sponsorships, donations and through fund raising by Ryder-Cheshire Foundations and other support groups.
Other money is provided by Ryder-Cheshire New Zealand, the Timor-Leste Ministry of Health (MOH), the Ministry of Social Solidarity and Inclusion (MSSI), the Global Fund (GF), the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), Australian, New Zealand and Japanese Embassies and occasionally by other international charities and organisations.
Rotary and other Service Clubs in Australia have provided a large amount of funding and equipment for projects at Klibur Domin since September 2000.
Klibur Domin Board of Management (KD BOM)
The Klibur Domin Board of Management was set up in 2001 with Dr Rui de Araujo as the Chairman. At the time, Dr Rui was the Minister for Health in the Interim Timor-Leste Administration. The Board’s role was to oversee the management and to exercise control of policy and the future direction of Klibur Domin.
The current Directors are:
Dr Jose Teixeira – Chairman 2015 -2020 – Lawyer and former Minister for Natural Resources.
Dr Rui de Araujo – Chairman 2001 to 2015 – Former Prime Minister and Minister for Health.
Air Cdre Peter Newton AO (Retd) – Founder and Ryder-Cheshire Australia Representative.
Dr Jeremy Becket – Australian doctor and CEO of Maluk Timor
Mr Joao Pequinho – Timorese Human Rights Activist.
Ms Sara M Pereira – Timorese Health Professional.